Strut Records Special Selection w/ DJ Offbeat & Chris Galvan
Welcome along as we take a listen to a special selection of records from the Strut label. In recording this show, I realized just how much Strut has influenced my afrobeat ears over the years. The recent set of Inspiration Information collaborations have been as exciting to listen to as they were to imagine...Amp Fiddler in the room with Sly & Robbie...Horace Andy singing over Ashley Beedle tracks...Mulatu creating with the Heliocentrics...Jimi Tenor working it out with Tony Allen..top notch! Strut have also released some great re-edit 12"s, groovy disco projects, and a couple absolutely banging Black Rio comps. We could do a lovely Brasil Selection just pulling from these two albums.
But my money is on the blistering Afro Strut sounds this for set. Starting off with an undeniable mantra from Segun Bucknor, blasting off with a Tony Allen classic, and a quick peak at an excellent new album recently released by the Souljazz Orchestra. Then it's a taste of Club Africa, Nigeria 70, and Afro Rock Vol. 1, including the web exclusive Odi-Yoo by the Latapaza Band.
The first time I heard a Lafayette Afro Rock Band album was quite like my first listen to Blue Break Beats compilations; utter amazement at not only the sounds I was hearing, but these albums play like a hip-hop sample source collection. One after another they come!
A few that never seem to leave the bag are Fever by Jingo and this Shina Williams afro disco jam. Absolute personal favorites. Topped off with a tune from Mulatu Steps Ahead, the huge Green Africa, and an Inspiration Information mixup orchestrated by Mr Chris Galvan. Every album and artist featured in this special selection is worthy of more of our time, so dig in and happy listening!
Big respect to everyone making Strut Records such a great part of my life!
Dig deeper at www.Strut-Records.com
1. Segun Bucknor - Sorrow, Sorrow, Sorrow
2. Souljazz Orchestra - Agbara
3. Tony Allen - No Accommodation For Lagos
4. Bucky Leo & Black Egypt - Precious Mother
5. Lafayette Afro Rock Band - Racuba
6. Latapaza Band - Odi-Yoo
7. Shina Williams & His African Percussion - Agboju Logun
8. Jingo - Fever
9. Mulatu - Green Africa
10. Amp Fiddler & Sly & Robbie - Serious
11. Mulatu & the Heliocentrics - Dewel
12. Jimi Tenor & Tony Allen - Sinuhe
13. Horace Andy & Ashley Beedle - When The Rain Falls (Cosmodelic Remix)
14. Amp Fiddler & Sly & Robbie - Blackhouse (Greenmoney Remix)