DJ Offbeat, Chris Galvan, and OdDio end the decade by taking a look back at some of the Labels and Artists that have influenced us, inspired us, and led us to where we are today.
We examined Compost Records, Jazzanova, Schema Records, 4 Hero, and Especial Records in December. We started the year off right with a look at Scandinavian Jazz. This week we turn our attention to Italian jazz maestro Nicola Conte.
The swinging jazz sounds of Nicola Conte first entered my world in the form of the Schema Records album 'Jet Sounds'. A modern take on bossa, the groove based tunes flowed one after another until the final notes of 'Trappola Mortale' faded into silence. I ached for more and immediately began the journey again. The audience widened a bit in America with the Eighteenth Street Lounge re-release, renamed 'Bossa Per Due' and a full remix album aptly titled 'Jet Sounds Revisited'.
The remixes flowed, as did my love of these dancefloor jazz sounds. Taking a more pure jazz tone, Nicola Conte and his band recorded 'Other Directions' in 2004 for Blue Note. Conte returned to his home at Schema Records with 2008's 'Rituals'. Late in 2009, Schema released a double album of collected remixes from over the years under the name 'The Modern Sound of Nicola Conte: Versions In Jazz Dub' and the journey continues.
I was fortunate enough to catch a DJ set at Sonotheque in Chicago in late 2003, where I enjoyed the fine selections of Mr Conte, as well as an excellent conversation and more than a few drinks with the man himself. Chris and his lovely wife came for a visit late last year and we all took in the live band, featuring Nicola on guitar and the one Jose James on vocals. Needless to say, they brought the house down.
Fond memories all around! We hope you enjoy a small sampling of the ever growing body of work Nicola Conte has blessed us with thus far and look forward to what the future may bring. Also, be sure to check out the Schema Records Special if you missed it.
Much love, respect, and thanks to Nicola Conte and the good people at Schema Records, as well as all of the talented labels and artists featured in this show.
1. Fertile Ground - Yellow Daisies (Nicola Conte Rework)
2. Marco Di Marco - Take Off (Nicola Conte Version)
3. Mark Murphy - Stolen Moments (Midnight Mood Rework)
4. Sabrina Malheiros - Terra Da Ninguem (Nicola Conte Rework)
5. Nicola Conte meets Aldemaro Romero - Teme De La Onda
6. Pilot Jazou - Your Crime (Nicola Conte Jazz Mix)
7. Nicola Conte - New Blues
8. Nicola Conte - Kind of Sunshine
9. Nicola Conte - Paper Clouds
10. Truby Trio ft Joseph Malik - High jazz (Nicola Conte rework)
11. Nicola Conte - Missione A Bombay (Eddy and Dus remix)
12. Nicola Conte - New Standards
13. Nicola Conte ft Jose James - Nubian Queens
14. Nicola Conte - Nefertiti
Stayed tuned for the Gerardo Frisina Special presented by FutureHistoryOfHouse, Music Is Everything, and oddiofile!